Saturday 24 May 2008

We'll keep the red flag flying here.

Whoop, Quids in!

The CL final was an unusual beast, to be fair my speculation about the match was hopelessly naïve but thankfully correct (with regards to my Betfair Profit/Loss). I was very confused – the ref seemed to be on the draw the whole way. This was achieved by letting the teams take it in turns to kick the shit out of each other, first Man-u on Chelsea – then the other way around.

The pitch was a lumpy, boggy mess and nullified the extra skill of the Man-u team – Chelsea had the idea to let them run themselves out in the first half, lump it at Drogba and come back in the second – it was a reasonable plan and it proved for some uninspired play; leaving frustration, violence, tension and dodgyness to ‘spice it up’ for the neutral observer... yeah – I hate to say that enjoyed it – but only because it was clear that I’d put my cash on the predetermined result at 90 minutes.

There was one moment, ten minutes or so after Man-u scored, when Grant (who had been very quiet) strolled up to the fourth official and had a word in his shell-like – all caught on camera – the run of play then turned and Chelsea were dominant. Was there a bidding war going on? On the pitch? On camera? Live?

Even I find that hard one to believe!

As an Arsenal supporter; once Ronaldo and Terry had missed their respective penalties, in the nail biting climax, it was a win-win scenario. One of them would be in tears pretty quickly, the piss-taking emails would be sent and the creative chants would ensue next season.

Ronaldo, the ‘best player in the world’ choked when the pressure was on... I actually predicted this – if I could have put money on it I would have done... I wonder what the odds would have been? I do feel a bit sorry for Chelsea fans as the game was in the bag – and the ‘safe feet’ of their captain-fantastic were stepping up... so just what happened to deny them?

Let’s rewind back to October 2007 when England strolled onto the swanky Astroturf at the Luzhniki Stadium for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Russia. Right after that match the plastic pitch was torn up and turfed out just in time for the Russian winter... alas the turf failed to root into the Moscow tundra and after much to-ing and fro-ing had to be replaced again a mere 3 weeks before the CL final game. The new turf that cost an arm and a leg was ‘unfortunately’ fucked in transit... how unfortunate – I wonder just who could have the connections in Russia to lean on the haulage company that delivered it to take a detour via the Monsanto aisle of the Moscow B&Q? Oh hang on – yeah... I do know someone who could possibly call in a few favors and swing that one!

So... by minute 120 the quagmire of a pitch, that was initially laid in the favor of the blues, was barely clinging on to the ground as a certain Mr. John Terry stepped up to plant his foot in precisely the same spot as the previous 9 penalty takers.

We know how the rest went... Ronaldo found religion and Ashley got a losers medal.

Ce la vie – all I can say is that you reap what you sow... and sometimes, as in the case of Chelsea, literally!

---------------------------------------------------------
RE: F****ing Football

From: PieFace
Sent: 24 May 2008 09:30:56
To: Chelsea Brian; DogFace

It's actually quite encouraging to see I will still be as passionate about the Gooners in 25 years time! See you both this Saturday

PieFace

---------------------------------------------------------

RE: F****ing Football‏
From: Chelsea Brian
Sent: 23 May 2008 21:19:28
To: PieFace; DogFace

Sorry guys. I owe you a big apology. I should not have let depression get the better of me and express ill-considered comments - particularly to you too lads. A few consoling beers does't promote a true perspective in one's thinking either but sadly I can offer no excuse for my bad manners as there isn't one. You are quite right. There are many things more important than football and celebrating Sophia's and Elena's birthdays is one of them. As you say there is no need to get involved in an argument about it and if I am still welcome DogFace I would love to be there with you next Saturday.

I guess my display is an example that you are never too old to be stupid/irrational/human! That's not said as lightly or as frivolously as it appears. When I became a Dad/middle aged person I assumed the necessary wisdom and the "comfort zone" to operate within would come with that and age. It doesn't!! I will be 60 this year yet it feels like I am the same idiot I was when I was 16 and I have learned almost nothing since.

I guess I will be re-born as an ant!

Chelsea Brian


---------------------------------------------------------

RE: F****ing Football‏
From: DogFace
Sent: 23 May 2008 13:33:11
To: Chelsea Brian

Hi Chelsea Brian,

I'm sorry that you feel that you cannot celebrate Sophia's third birthday because Chelsea lost a game of football… although I fail to see how this is any way relevant to my mothers attitude to life?

As I have said in the past – I do not wish to get into heated discussions about football with regards to elements of corruption within the game and I certainly do not wish to be ‘indulged’. Although, as an aside - didn't Avram Grant have something to say on the subject recently?

As a third point... with regards to the reaction you feel you are getting from ‘every supporter from every other club in the Football League’ I would suggest that taking out your frustrations on myself and PieFace (as the closest Arsenal supporters to hand) is an unproductive course of action.

One hopes objectivity prevails.

DogFace

---------------------------------------------------------
From: Chelsea Brian
To: PieFace; DogFace
Subject: F****ing Football
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 00:06:46 +0100

Hi Guys
REALLY ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY COMNPREHENSIVELY P****** off & F***** off with tonight's result and the reaction to it from every supporter of every other club in the Football League (other than Chelsea) including Arsenal). I don't need or want this and I certainly do not need and I do not feel like indulging DoghFace's views on the game - If A are so much better let's see you F****ing challenge Man U - nobody else has apart from the Blues for the last 2 seasons - or are you just passing on the grounds of budget control or is it Manyana again?!!! I am so angry amd absolutely AAAAAAAAAAARGH I hav e to say I will pass on the meet for the 31st - like you said DogFace - your Mum didn't humour matters she disagreed with - and I guess that is something that now influences me. Too choked at the moment to correspond coherently but I guess I will be more objective with the passage of time.

Talk later.

Chelsea Brian