Friday 15 August 2008

Laugh along although they're laughing at you

So - what was McClaren thinking of... and more (or less) importantly – what were the Setanta commentators on about (see: 'the seven shades of shite'). I'm reliably informed that they were banging on about Arsenal being the shadow of the team who smashed a hole in AC Milan last season – yeah, well *whatever* – this is FC Tewnte and quite frankly we're going to do what we always do against shit teams, Colonel_Dekker from the Facebook A.S.I. puts it far better than I could:

"To be fair it was similar to when we play a lower league team in the Cup. All blood and thunder for 60min then they start blowing out of thier arses, Bang Bang....Goodnight vienna!

Lots of players out, Djourou was excellent last night.......really really good!

I think Big Willie put it in with well..................his willy. They all count. Just hope he gets the fist pump out sooner rather than later. "

i.e. pimp stance, glock-glock – game over.

Predictably the English media didn't let us down with it's assessment that 'Arsenal are shit' either... we unconvincingly won 2-0 in the first (away) leg with a shocking, shoddy performance apparently. Hello, 2-0? We're playing nobodies in a noddy qualifier and we have a game at the weekend – what do you fucking expect? 2-0 with minimum effort is exactly what I expect.

The Dutch commentator (I'm also reliably informed from a Dutchman) had a more balanced half time assessment, that being that Arsenal were playing with their foot off the gas – but would probably put their foot down in the second half to close the game out. Well read my son... although – you didn't have to be a genius, just have eyes that were open.
I watched the game on some crumby stream on the internet which, bizarrely, is easier to connect to and watch that my now cancelled Setanta subscription... although the team did resemble lego-men at times, I could still just about follow it... was that Eboue, no – it's Van Persie, oh hang on that was Walcott?!

Walcott looked good – he was all over the place and run them ragged. Gallas go the opener too and cock-poked it home from a free kick – they all count, but that one counted more than most. Gallas is the nuts, and anyone who can't see that can fuck off and do the Sun soduko puzzle.

So anyway – what was McClaren thinking of? Surely you just shut up shop and pray for a second leg fluke don't you? Away goal? Etc?

No matter – the 7-0 aggregate score is still on the cards. Cheers Steve.

Talking of which – I expect West Brom to come out tomorrow wanting a draw... every point is gold dust to them so a point against us would be a major coup - I'm looking forward to it but I doubt that it's going to be entertaining footie. Let's hope for the early goal (from us) to force them out to attack a bit.

My prediction Arsenal by a goal.

Tomorrow I sit in club level - my ticket has gone to a good cause as my brother couldn't make it and Iraqi_Ali wanted to take his 10 y/o nephew to his first Arsenal match - a first for them both... Ali reckons he's a gooner but that is a throw back to avoid getting beaten up at school - his nephew is definately a gooner, as his poster filled room attests... so he can set him straight on who's who - they can have our tickets and sit together.

It's going to be a suprise - Ali is going to pick him up and tell him that he needs some help fixing a computer in North London... as I live near the stadium he's going to have to sit with gooners on the tube all the way down. He's going to fucking flip when I hand him the ticket!

What makes it all the sweeter is that his younger (8 y/o) brother is a glory boy Manure fan - so I hope it gets rubbed in good and proper when he gets home.

"how can you say dat you is a fan if you never went to a match? Manchester United - you live in Southwick for fucks sake - cha - you is a fool init!"

I will, as I said, be watching from club level having ponced a freebie ticket from work - so, I'll be singing:

"I only came for the free beer!"

At the top of my lungs to the dismay of the few stuffed shirts that could be bothered to turn up for this low-kudos 'jolly'... Ironically I will be the tourist, and as the mighty Jarvis once said:

'cos everybody hates a tourist
especially one who thinks
it's all such a laugh

Ahhh Javis; you are not Jesus - but you have the same initials...