Friday 13 June 2008

On candystripe legs the spiderman comes...

Oh no... disaster; I think that's it for me – my profits are down to £1.65 after being greedy and going large on laying Croatia!! Is there anyone out there that saw that one coming? I still have money in play of course after going 'on tilt' and throwing in my lot with the Dutch – I now have the most money that I have ever bet on anything riding on this considerable long shot - £25 @ 7 (average)...

...it doesn't look good for me does it?

I think I'm going to stick to playing poker (face to face rather than that internet shit) – I know where I stand with that... in poker you can play your hand against the stake in relation to the pot – in football the bookies offer up some bizarre odds that seem to make no logical sense in the long run. There are too many factors, for me anyway, to take in and make an informed decision. Still poker isn't as simple as the mathematics of its rules as you also have to be a good judge of character and have the ability to hide your agenda or actively promote a deception... people can be complex when they know what they are doing as, in reality (the reality of profit), the rules have got nothing to do with the result – some players are so good that they can win a match without even looking at their hand. One thing is for sure though, in poker, the experienced players will spot a mug and form a 'cartel' to fleece him – it's the way it works, like an unspoken rule that you only learn from experience. Nobody ever wrote it down or signed an agreement – it just evolved out of human nature.

Poker is a metaphor for life.

Still, yesterday could have been worse; I could have got on Poland to beat Austria! I knew there was something smelly about that match and just before kick-off I realised exactly what it was as a certain Mr. Howard Webb took to the pitch to assume the refereeing duties. I mean – he really is an utter twat... the first Brazilian, I mean Polish, goal was offside – and this coming from UEFA picked linesmen who are of such a high calibre that they can supposedly deduce in a split second that a goal is onside to the letter of an ever-so-fuzzy law – subsection a, paragraph iii (the injured player on his back with his hands over his eyes 4 meters from the touchline is 'active' as he didn't ask permission from the ref to leave the field of play) as in the Holland/Italy game. I mean – what? Come on UEFA - justify that one for me please – I dare you!? The second key decision which was hilarious was, in an effort to make amends for the first shit call (or to make the bookies happy); the Ronaldo McDonaldo of refs contrives a situation in the dying seconds in which he can award a flimsy penalty to Austria... he's Lovin' it!

*ARSENAL NEWS*

On a more sombre note we gooners say goodbye today to Derek Tapscott who died at 75 – he got 68 goals in 132 appearances which is a bloody good run in anyone's book. Rest in peace man – btw, if anyone can remember a chant for him then please email me so I can try to get it started at the Emirates Cup matches?

Um – onto tonight's games… can I be arsed seeing as I've got no money? Tell you what – I'll roll a dice: odds = Team A, evens = Draw, extremities = Team B. Then, baring a draw, I'll roll the dice twice to get the winning margin (if the same number comes up twice I'll roll again):

Italy v Romania @ Zurich
The die says: Romania… by 1.

Netherlands v France @ Berne
The die says: Netherlands… by 2.

It's FREE MONEY – get on it large!

[13/06/2008 09:32:56] DogFace says: So... what happened man?
[13/06/2008 09:33:10] DogFace says: (chuckle)
[13/06/2008 09:57:06] dhjackal says: everyone conspired against me
[13/06/2008 09:57:08] dhjackal says: obviously
[13/06/2008 09:57:23] DogFace says: I got stiffed big on the Germany game..
[13/06/2008 09:57:31] DogFace says: ..FFS - who saw that one coming?
[13/06/2008 09:58:16] DogFace says: I'm glad we got rid of Lehmann! :-D
[13/06/2008 09:59:09] DogFace says: He couldn't save a brick from the bottom of a swimming pool wearing only his pyjamas!
[13/06/2008 10:09:29] dhjackal says: harsh
[13/06/2008 10:09:31] dhjackal says: but true